9th August 2016
I’ve recently been pursuing a variety of woodwork jobs at diverse levels of tolerance: everything from carefully chiseled joints to quick work with a jig-saw and power drill.
The most complex job was making a casement window for our upstairs greenhouse, filling a gap left a year ago when we made and installed all the fixed leaded windows. I used 2x1 oak to make the window frame, into which I routed a rebate for the window. I jointed the wood using bridle joints then glued and cramped it all together. I then made the window using lead cames and a combination of P1 glass (reproduction Georgian glass), ordinary float glass, and a single piece of original crown glass from a very old house in Wiltshire (thanks John!). You can see the crown glass in the photo – it is slightly darker than the others and the defects and ripples are more pronounced.
Another fine job was the corners of our window seat, going round the curve from the zombie drawers to the wall. Here I repeated the detail I used to finish the kitchen: vertical ribbed walnut pieces fitted with tiny brass modelling screws. I had just enough walnut left over from the kitchen to complete the job.
Our porch/larder is also now fully functional, if not complete (I want to tile the floor and paint the ceiling) thanks to new shelves, a foot rack made from off-cuts from the staircase treads, and a coat rack made from the pew I used to make the architrave for the front door. The shelves are already heaving with homemade plum jam.
We had planned to get rid of the workbench once the build is complete but we’ve decided to keep it instead. Partly because I made it myself but also because it actually looks quite cool as a decorative table underneath the staircase. In years to come we can bring it back into use whenever we're feeling a little crafty